This post was last updated on March 13th, 2017 at 06:19 pm
Yes, I run a parenting blog. News flash, I am not a perfect parent. Who is? Parents need to stick together in this crazy world. There are many reasons why I need parenting advice, but here are the four main ones.
- I am a mom without a mom – I lost my mom in 2013. We didn’t have the most amazing relationship, but we talked every day. I wanted my son to grow up with awesome grandparents like I did. Unfortunately, my mom had a lot of demons and didn’t seek help with them. Eventually, alcohol took her from us. Sometimes, when my son is sick, I don’t know who to turn to. There are just some things you want to be able to learn from your mom.
- I have a boy – I am a female, and even though I took sex ed in school, boys baffle me. I do have a younger brother, but he was only 4 when I moved out of my childhood home. When my son asks about his body and the way he feels, I don’t know what to say??!?!? And, of course, this usually happens when my husband is not home. Awkward.
- Some things you just can’t prepare for – Especially when they start school. There are so many influences when they are in day care, preschool, or grade school. One day my son came home with a pink slip (gasp!) stating he went into the girls’ bathroom. When I asked him why, he said his friend told him to. I wasn’t prepared for this, and how do I teach him to not be a follower or give in to peer pressure? Because in my house, it was simply a fear of mom that kept me from doing it, HAHA.
- They don’t teach parenting in school – I very much would have appreciated a parenting class rather than cutting open a frog in high school. They don’t even teach you how to balance a checkbook.
Luckily for me, and all parents, there are so many resources to help when you have nowhere else to turn. Here is where I get my parenting advice.
- My dad – Luckily my dad is still in my life and I can always go to him for advice. Any family member that you have available that you respect is always a good start.
- Blogs – Duh! I wouldn’t write a blog if I didn’t also read other blogs for information. There are so many great parenting blogs out there. I like to google whatever problem I am having at the time and find a great blog post and then read more on that particular blog.
- Friends – All of my friends have kids, and ironically they all have boys too! It is easier to get advice from someone who is actually going through all of the same things.
- Trial and Error – Honestly, sometimes you just have to wing it. Try to do something a certain way and if it doesn’t work, do something else. One thing I had to change was how to get my son to eat what I made for dinner. I used to tell him no snacks if he didn’t eat. He got to the point where he said that was fine he didn’t want snacks anyway. So, I had to get a little more creative. Now, he loses electronics or something fun that he likes to do. We rarely fight about him eating anymore.
Hopefully when you feel like you need advice you have someone in your life you can turn to. If not, there are tons of resources out there to help you. I didn’t mention any specific blogs in this post but will in the future. If you have any that you turn to on a consistent basis, let me know what it is.